Fine & Performing Arts
Blanchet students can enroll in band, orchestra and/or choir and choose from a number of visual arts classes, as well as participate in mid high and high school drama. Band, choir and drama performances are held in the school's beautiful Wiegand Arts Center. The Arts Center has been completely renovated in recent years and features a 275 seating capacity, in addition to a state-of-the-art sound and lighting system.
Fine & Performing Arts Opportunities
Blanchet offers a thriving band program for students who wish to participate in instrumental music. The bands performs in several music concerts, contests, and festivals throughout the year. Additionally, band members have the opportunity to perform with the Pep Band and Pit Orchestra.
- Wind Ensemble is the top performing ensemble within the band department. Students explore and perform the highest quality of wind band literature. This ensemble meets before school and is offered to students who have two or more years of experience on their instrument.
- Concert Band is an entry level ensemble mainly comprised of mid-high students. This band is an elective class during the day. Students explore a wide variety of beginning to intermediate band literature as well as fine tune skill sets through the development of fundamentals and overall individual technique.
- Pep Band is comprised of students from the band program. The Pep Band is an integral part of school spirit at Blanchet. The purpose of the Pep Band is to entertain and pep up the crowd at sporting events and pep rallies.
- The Pit Orchestra is comprised of students and professional members of the community for the sole purpose of providing quality and live accompaniment for the annual Blanchet musical production. Musicians who perform in the pit orchestra are often required to play multiple instruments and they must also be familiar with and be able to perform in multiple keys, styles, and tempos and make changes instantaneously.
- Blanchet now offers an after school beginning band program for all Salem Area Catholic School students in grades 5-8. Students who commit to playing in band for the whole year will learn how to play the instrument of their choice, play in concerts for family and friends and become a member of a program that will continue to grow. Instruction is done to encourage proper fundamentals and overall individual technique.
The choir is open to all students with a passion for singing. The choir sings at all school Masses, participates in music contests and festivals, performs at community events and collaborates with the Blanchet band to present four concerts annually.
Our mid high drama program presents two plays per year, a drama or comedy in the fall, and a musical in the spring. Mid high students can participate by enrolling in our drama elective.
High school students may choose to take Drama 1 or Drama 2 and audition for two plays that are held annually. Blanchet's drama department has an excellent reputation and has produced sold-out shows for productions such as "Fiddler on the Roof," "Beauty & the Beast," and "Wizard of Oz."
Students can choose to enroll in several arts classes, including drawing, painting, pottery and photography. Our art classes are taught by Mrs. Heintzman. Mrs. Heintzman is an experienced art teacher and professional artist who received the prestigious Crystal Apple Award for teaching excellence in 2011. Most notably, she served as the Art Director of the Eco-Earth project in Salem's Riverfront Park. The work of Blanchet art students have won numerous awards, including prizes from the World Beat Festival and Doodle for Googlecontest.